The Pannier Backpack Convertible is a 2-in-1 bike commuting machine. The daypack designed for bike commuters that saves your back from a heavy, sweaty commute. It attaches to your bike for the ride and converts to technical backpack for work, weekend excursions, or a compliment to your bike touring setup or travels. Available in Black, Graphite and a limited edition Military Black Waxed Canvas.
What is the Pannier Backpack Convertible?
What is the size differences between the Original and the PLUS+ ?
For sizing purposes, if you are teetering on needing more space, you might want to consider the PLUS+. The original size is essentially the Small-Mid size pack (22L). The PLUS+ is large capacity (30L) with a separated laptop pocket. This video from our recent product launch will help you determine the size comparisons and key differences between the 2 bags!
How Does the Pannier to Backpack Conversion Work?
It takes about 10 seconds to convert between the two modes.
1) Switching to Pannier Mode: Unclip the backpack straps at the bottom quick release buckles. The back compartment unzips exposing the adjustable rack mounting clips. The backpack straps get tucked down into this back compartment and the top of the bag rolls inside. The bag can then be positioned on your bike rack and secured with the locking mechanism. The lower straps that were connected to the backpack straps now clip together to fasten the pannier securely to the side of your bike rack.
2) Switching to Backpack Mode: The backpack straps are pulled out of the rear compartment and the mounting components are zipped away behind the foam padded back plate. Each backpack strap then clips into the matching quick release buckle on the short lower straps. The backpack strap length can then be adjusted with a quick pull for a comfortable fit.
Is it Waterproof?
It is highly water resistant. We can't claim it to be waterproof as it can not be submerged underwater without seepage through seams and zippers. It is made of extremely durable 600D Polyester with a TPE waterproof coating. It also comes with a rain cover to protect the seams and zippers in torrential downpours.
Is the Rain Cover Included?
Yes. Every Two Wheel Gear includes the additional waterproof cover. Located in the front pocket (where you see the umbrella icon). The rain cover can be used in pannier mode or backpack mode and keeps you visible in low light conditions. There is an additional loop to hook a flasher light.
What is the Difference Between the Kompakt Rail and TWIST Mounting Systems?
Kompakt Rail (2019)
The quickest system from Rixen & Kaul to mount and easiest to adjust. There is a top button on each of the hooks that allow them to slide on the rail horizontally for adjusting rack placement. A red spring latch (which is very fast for securing the pannier down to the rack) is set under the rack bar once the bag is placed on the rack. The Kompakt Rail will work with racks from 6-16 mm (even E-Bikes with batteries integrated into the rear carrier). See the Pannier Backpack (Kompakt Rail)
The Rixen & Kaul TWIST system uses the blue ratchet locking hooks. They are also adjustable horizontally for rack adjustment using a screwdriver and sliding into one of the 4 pre-drilled holes ). Each hook locks separately around the rack so it takes a little extra time to fully secure the bag. This system will work with racks 6-12 mm in diameter. The TWIST system also comes with small blue inserts that reduce the hooks to fit better with small racks (6-8 mm). See the Pannier Backpack (TWIST)
What is the Difference Between the Black, Graphite and the Waxed Canvas?
The reflective black and graphite bags are made of 600D polyester with waterproof TPE coating.
The Military Waxed Canvas material is a 10-ounce cotton/polyester fabric blend with a dry T/C wax coating finish. It is a dry waxed fabric with no oily tackiness like traditional waxed finishes. We love to use it because of its properties with being waterproof, Eco-Friendly, Fireproof, Anti-static, Breathable, Ripstop, Oil-Proof and it builds a very cool charming patina.
Both materials are rugged and durable. The black and graphite are synthetic and will last a long time, the waxed canvas is a material that will last a lifetime.
How Do I Attach the Pannier to my Rack?
STEP 1. Set the pannier mounting clips on the rack. The mounting clips are adjustable horizontally and will work with racks from 6 mm - 16 mm.
STEP 2. Secure the red centre spring latch so that it hooks under the main rack bar. This is a locking mechanism to ensure the bag doesn't pop off the rack.
STEP 3. Attach the two small strap quick release buckles (at the bottom of the pannier) around the side of the rack. This keeps the pannier secure.
What Kind of Bike Rack Works Best?
The majority of the bike racks on the market work great. The Vario Hooks adjust to any rack tube diameter with a few turns of a screwdriver. The lower strap will clip in behind any vertical rack bar to secure the sides of the pannier.Some of the most common racks our customers use are Topeak, Blackburn, Filzer, or Axiom, however, any localbikeshop will have an excellent option. Email us with any specific questions (or send a quick photo of your bike rack) if you want to double check your setup.
A few Suggested Racks for Cantilever Brakes:
Some Suggested Racks for Disc Brakes:
Will My Laptop Fit?
It will fit laptops with up to 15.6 inch screens. You can measure your physical laptop dimensions to make sure it fits.
Pocket Dimensions: Width: 12.5" Height: 10" Depth: 2"
Is it Carry-On Compliant?
Absolutely. Both the regular and PLUS+ size meet standard airline carryon requirements.
What is the Strap Inside the Rain Cover Pouch used for?
Most specifically a key ring. This is a convenient point to strap your keys so you always know where they are. It is also used to strap to the rain cover.
Where is the U-Lock Pocket?
This pocket is essentially the same as the rain cover pocket (umbrella icon). It is designed so a standard U-Lock can tuck inside and zip up. Larger U-locks can also be conveniently slid into the front pocket with the zipper left open.
Will it work with Folding Bikes?
The Pannier Backpack works with most folding bike models. When the bag is mounted to the rack, it measures 14 inches from the rack bar to the lowest point of the pannier. Measure your folding bike to check for enough clearance.
Where can I read some Independent Reviews on the Pannier Backpack?
- Wirecutter (New York Times) - The Best Bike Panniers for 2019: Reviews by Wirecutter
- Bike Commuters - California - The Bike Geek - Two Wheel Gear Pannier Backpack Convertible Review
- Rob's Run and Ride Blog - Richmond, BC - Gear: Two Wheel Gear Pannier Backpack Convertible
- Cult of Mac - Alaska - Backpack Built for Bike lets you Carry more on Two Wheels
- Average Joe Cyclist - Vancouver, BC - Two Wheel Gear Pannier Backpack Convertible Review
- Doug Bardwell - Columbia Station, OH - Two Wheel Gear - Pannier Backpack Convertible Black is at Home On-Or-Off the Bike
- Catch Carri - Colorado - The Pannier Backpack Convertible Makes Commuting Easier
- Two Wheeled Politics with Rob Z - Toronto, ON - Review - Two Wheel Gear Pannier Backpack Convertible
- 700 Bike - China - Ride the Ride
What does it look like when it's shipped/unboxed?
More Questions? We're along for the ride.
Send us an e-mail at email@example.com or call us at 604-559-1210.