FAQ - Pannier Backpack Convertible
What is the Pannier Backpack Convertible?
The Pannier Backpack Convertible is a 2-in-1 versatile commuting machine. We created it as the go to daypack for bike commuters. It handles daily cycling to work, weekend excursions, compliments your bike touring setup or travels the world as carry on cargo. Available in Black, Graphite and a limited edition Military Black Waxed Canvas.
How Does the Pannier to Backpack Conversion Work?
It takes about 10 seconds to convert between the two modes.
1) Pannier Mode: The back compartment unzips exposing the adjustable rack mounting clips and centre lock. The backpack straps get tucked down into this back compartment. With a quick roll, the zipper flap also tucks into the back compartment. The bag can then be positioned on your bike rack and the centre lock can be engaged. This provides a safety mechanism to prevent the pannier popping off your rack. The short lower straps that connect into either backpack strap now clip together to fasten the pannier securely to the side of your bike rack.
2) Backpack Mode: The backpack straps are pulled out of the rear compartment and the mounting components are zipped away behind the foam padded back plate. Each backpack strap then clips into the matching quick release buckle of the short lower straps. The backpack strap length can then be adjusted with a quick pull for a comfortable fit.
Is it Waterproof?
It is highly water resistant. We can't claim it to be waterproof as it can not be submerged underwater without seepage through seams and zippers. It is made of extremely durable 600D Polyester with a TPE waterproof coating. It also comes with a rain cover to protect the seams and zippers in torrential downpours.
Is the Rain Cover Included?
Yes. The rain cover is included in the front pocket (where you see the umbrella icon) of every Pannier Backpack Convertible.
In seriously wet weather, it is recommended to use the additional rain cover which protects the seams and zippers. The rain cover can be used in pannier mode or backpack mode. It is fluorescent neon with reflective details to also keep you visible in low light conditions. There is also a spot to hook a flasher light.
What is the Difference Between the Kompakt Rail, TWIST and Vario Mounting Systems?
Kompakt Rail (2019)
The quickest system from Rixen & Kaul to mount and easiest to adjust. There is a top button on each of the hooks that allow them to slide on the rail horizontally for adjusting rack placement. A red spring latch (which is very fast for securing the pannier down to the rack) is set under the rack bar once the bag is placed on the rack. The Kompakt Rail will work with racks from 6-16 mm (even E-Bikes with batteries integrated into the rear carrier). See the Pannier Backpack (Kompakt Rail)
The Rixen & Kaul TWIST system uses the blue ratchet locking hooks. They are also adjustable horizontally for rack adjustment using a screwdriver and sliding into one of the 4 pre-drilled holes ). Each hook locks separately around the rack so it takes a little extra time to fully secure the bag. This system will work with racks 6-12 mm in diameter. The TWIST system also comes with small blue inserts that reduce the hooks to fit better with small racks (6-8 mm). See the Pannier Backpack (TWIST)
What is the Difference Between the Black, Graphite and the Waxed Canvas?
The key difference is the material. The black and graphite bags are made of 600D polyester with waterproof TPE coating. The waxed canvas is a waterproof 10-ounce dry wax cotton/polyester blend. Both materials have rugged and durable qualities. The black and graphite are synthetic and will last a long time, the waxedcanvas is a material that will last a lifetime.
The waxedcanvas is a premium sourced fabric that is also used by the U.S. military in Army field bags. It will patina and build character with use which really adds to the charm of the bag.
Both the waxedcanvas and the graphite/black bags have the same pockets and functionality. Both bags come with a fluorescent rain cover.
How Do I Attach the Pannier to my Rack?
STEP 1. Set the pannier mounting clips on the rack. The mounting clips are adjustable horizontally and will work with racks from 6 mm - 16 mm.
STEP 2. Secure the red centre spring latch so that it hooks under the main rack bar. This is a locking mechanism to ensure the bag doesn't pop off the rack.
STEP 3. Attach the two small strap quick release buckles (at the bottom of the pannier) around the side of the rack. This keeps the pannier secure.
Where is the U-Lock Pocket?
What Kind of Bike Rack Works Best?
The majority of the bike racks on the market work great. The Vario Hooks adjust to any rack tube diameter with a few turns of a screwdriver. The lower strap will clip in behind any vertical rack bar to secure the sides of the pannier.
Suggested Racks for Cantilever Brakes:
Suggested Racks for Disc Brakes:
What is the Distance Between the Pannier Mounting Hardware?8' inches (20.3 cm) measured between the outer hook borders. 6.25" inches (15.9 cm) measured inside the hooks.
Will My Laptop Fit?
It will fit laptops with up to 15.6 inch screens. You can measure your physical laptop dimensions to make sure it fits.
Pocket Dimensions: Width: 12.5" Height: 10" Depth: 2"
Is it Carry-On Compliant?
Absolutely. It works great for all travel applications as your go-to daypack.
What is the Strap Inside the Rain Cover Pouch used for?
Most specifically a key ring. This is a convenient point to strap your keys so you always know where they are. It is also used to strap to the rain cover.
Will it work with Folding Bikes?
The Pannier Backpack works with most folding bike models. When the bag is mounted to the rack, it measures 14 inches from the rack bar to the lowest point of the pannier. Measure your folding bike to check for enough clearance.
Where can I read some Independent Reviews on the Pannier Backpack?
- Bike Commuters - California - The Bike Geek - Two Wheel Gear Pannier Backpack Convertible Review
- Rob's Run and Ride Blog - Richmond, BC - Gear: Two Wheel Gear Pannier Backpack Convertible
- Cult of Mac - Alaska - Backpack Built for Bike lets you Carry more on Two Wheels
- Average Joe Cyclist - Vancouver, BC - Two Wheel Gear Pannier Backpack Convertible Review
- Doug Bardwell - Columbia Station, OH - Two Wheel Gear - Pannier Backpack Convertible Black is at Home On-Or-Off the Bike
- Catch Carri - Colorado - The Pannier Backpack Convertible Makes Commuting Easier
- Two Wheeled Politics with Rob Z - Toronto, ON - Review - Two Wheel Gear Pannier Backpack Convertible
- 700 Bike - China - Ride the Ride
What does it look like when it's shipped/unboxed?
Questions? We're along for the ride.
Send us an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 604-559-1210.