Two Wheel Gear - Commuter Series
Just starting out? Two Wheel Gear commuter Dave Norris gives you a run through the basics.
1. Intro - Dress
2. Intro - Fenders
3. Intro - Tools
Bike Commuting - Where to start
Sitting in traffic sucks. The ride to work, school or socializing is a great way to unwind, burn some calories and beat the traffic. A checklist helps make it easy. Below is a solid list of key pieces to the bike commute puzzle to make your ride easier.
- Bike tune-ups. Just like your car, bikes ride better with a little TLC from your local bike shop
- Bike locks. You get what you pay for in locks, so pay more.
- Safety Gear: Helmet, gloves, glasses, bright clothing. Goes without say, but, if you're banged up you can't ride!
- Cycling Apparel: Extra layers for warmth, rain gear.
- Gadgets: Front and rear lights, and a bell.
- Clothing for work - Remember the little things like socks, tie and underwear
- Toiletries - Clean up when you get there. Riding can be a hard and dirty job.
- Plan your route before ride - Try and avoid congested areas (If you must ride in traffic, understand the traffic flow and understand the rules of the road). Google maps is always a solid go-to if you're unsure
We are a proud supporter of the Calgary Commuter Challenge. Cities across North America compete yearly in the Commuter Challenge. Join with a friend in your area.
- Commuter Challenge In Canada
- Vancouver Area Cycling Coalition
- Seattle Commuter Challenge
- Road Bikes - The Necessary Parts & Gear you Need - Motosport has a huge resource for any cyclist starting out
- Paul Dorn's Bike Commuting Tips - (a California cyclist, activist and writer) provides the ABC's of bicycle commuting
- Guide to Bicycle Safety - Beginner's guide to getting on the road
Maintenance & Repairs
- Bicycle Maintenance Guide & Riding Tips - Thomas Driemeyer has a nifty page full of general bicycle repairs and riding tips
Useful Cycling Links
- League of American Cyclists - loaded with cycling information and news
- Bike Lane - library of links covering everything from commuting advocacy to products to safety to cycling clubs
- Washington (DC) Area Bicyclist Association
- INVIEW | www.woolsportswear.com : Bicycle Clothes - why wool is awesome for cycling
Local Cycling Clubs & Advocacy Groups
- Calgary Tour De Nuit Society
- Bike Calgary
- Open Streets Calgary
- Edmonton Bicycle Commuters' Society
- Elbow Valley Cycle Club